Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Wednesday 28 August 2024

Visiting my home town of Rugby, Old Brownsover and Swift Valley - 28th August 2024

Bridge 56, Brownsover Old Arm, Oxford Canal

A lovely, quiet walk this morning taking in Old Brownsover Hamlet and the Swift Valley Nature Reserve. I even ventured into the grounds of St. Michael & All Angels Church, now redundant, but somewhere I had never been to in my sixty years of living in Rugby!

I started off paying my respects to an old colleague, Wilf Brown (RIP), a good man and long served Leading Ambulanceman at the (sadly) now lost forever, Rugby Ambulance Station.



I then continued down the lane to the Swift Valley Nature Reserve, the car park sadly strewn with litter, mainly from McDonalds, even though there are bins.



I certainly don't remember this event!


River Swift

Swift Valley

Sad to see the bird feeding station as it is, it used to be well serviced!



A moment for reflection

Brownsover Old Arm, original line of the Oxford Canal before straightening during the 1820's







Bridge 56



Old Brownsover Road Bridge, having been rebuilt, I much preferred the character of the old bridge!



Old Brownsover Hamlet

Star Farm, one time Star Inn



Reputed birthplace of Lawrence Sheriff



Sad days again, Brownsover Hall entrance with gates close & padlocked



During my sixty years of living in Rugby, and in spite of passing it by regularly, I failed to visit the Old Brownsover Church of St. Michael & All Angels (now redundant)! Today, I made an outside visit.





Overall, a very enjoyable couple of hours!

Thank you for looking.

All images taken with Sony RX10 Mk4.