Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 19 August 2024

Filey, East Lea Reserve - 19th August 2024

 

Green Sandpiper

Headed over to Filey this afternoon and spent an hour on the private East Lea reserve. The reserve is run and maintained by the Filey Bird Observatory Group. A lot of hard work is being put in by members and the rewards are paying dividends. This afternoon, I wanted to touch base with two birds, Wood Sandpiper and Ruff, both year ticks for me. Sadly, all of the waders had taken up residence on the distant mud, but good scope views. Another downside was no images worthy of publication! Note to self - Don't bother with distant small dots, unless they are mega rare and a record shot is required!

Wader numbers on the reserve were good, with birds increasing as time progressed. Notably, Ruff (1); Wood Sandpiper (1); Common Sandpiper (1); Green Sandpiper (6); Greenshank (1); Dunlin (2); Ringed Plover (14); Juv. Little Ringed Plover (1); Common Snipe (1). Later in the afternoon, a second Wood Sandpiper arrived and Ringed Plover numbers increased to 25!

Green Sandpipers

I quite like this image, reminds me of a pencil / charcoal sketch

Common Snipe


Roe Deer Buck



Current "woke" statements amongst some strange humans made me smile as I captured the following two images, that I shall title...

"I identify as a sheep!"  


I bet that once I had headed home, the waders came closer to the hide!

Thank you for looking.

All images taken with Sony RX10 Mk4.