Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Marsh Lane Reserve

Lapwing


The forecast said it was going to stay clear, dry and rather warm. Imagine my despair when I arrived at Marsh Lane at 0630 this morning to find it shrouded in thick mist! I had not visited Marsh Lane for over six months and with some good spring migrants being reported, I felt it was worth the trip. I decided to walk down the old road which was clear of mist, finding several Chiffchaffs, Bullfinches and Reed Buntings. As the mist began to burn off, I headed for the Car Park Pool Hide which held a year tick in two Redshanks. At least fifteen Snipe were on the shoreline, the water holding Tufted Duck, Pochard, Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal and Great Crested Grebe. Moving on to the Oak Hide found me another year tick in a solitary Ringed Plover. The gulls consisted of good numbers of Black Headed interspersed with Lesser Black Backed, Herring and Common. Two Oystercatcher were on the islands and Redshank increased to five. The elevated views from the Railway Hide enabled me to scan the reserve but nothing out of the ordinary was to be found. A fair amount of disturbance outside the Oak Hide by an excavator and tractor, creating a new path, led me to move on, meeting Dennis and Kath on my way out. By now, the sun was shining and the temperature was soaring and I was sweating! Complete list at end of post.


Gadwall

Gadwall

Redshank

Teal

Oystercatcher

Lapwing

Lapwing


Todays Sightings:

Blackbird; Wood Pigeon; Chiffchaff; Pheasant; Reed Bunting; Song Thrush; Carrion Crow; Jackdaw; Black Headed Gull; Coot; Wren; Cormorant; Mute Swan; Dunnock; Bullfinch; Skylark; Lapwing; Greay Lag Goose; Dabchick; Tufted Duck; Great Tit; Chaffinch; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Robin; Blue Tit; Canada Goose; Redshank; Oystercatcher; Shoveler; Gadwall; Snipe; Great Crested Grebe; Mallard; Pochard; Stock Dove; Teal; Goldfinch; Jay; Moorhen; Ringed Plover; LBB GUll; Herring Gull; Common Gull; Pied Wagtail; Magpie; Rook; Grey Heron; Treecreeper; Green Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment