Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Sunday 6 March 2011

Draycote Water

Two of four Buzzards


It feels like I have been at work constantly over the last two weeks so I decided on an early morning visit to Draycote Water to clear my head. Of course, I got it all wrong! The light was poor when I arrived and the water held very little. Four Buzzards over Farborough Bank were nice to see and the drake Smew obliged off the spit but remained distant. A Yellow Legged Gull loafed with a group of Common, Black Headed and Lesser Black Backed Gulls off Biggin Bay, where I later learned the Scaups were residing. My walk around the perimeter was quite rapid as there was little to loiter over. Meeting the Bumbling Bears later near Rainbow Corner reassured me that they were not doing any better with sightings! Even meeting Francoise (Scaup magnet)  failed to draw the Scaup or any other interesting birds across to us.

Smew

Smew

Smew

Goldeneye

Goldeneye

Great Crested Grebe


Todays Sightings:

Magpie; Chaffinch; Blackbird; Rook; Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Jackdaw; Song Thrush; Wren; Greenfinch; Goldfinch; Black Headed Gull; Mallard; Tufted Duck; LBB Gull; Cormorant; Coot; Goldeneye; Great Crested Grebe; Canada Goose; Smew; Buzzard; Pied Wagtail; Goosander; Skylark; Pheasant; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Dunnock; Long Tailed Tit; Pochard; Wigeon; Teal; Gadwall; Moorhen; Redwing; Robin; Green Woodpecker; Common Gull; Goldcrest; Yellow Legged Gull; Lapwing; Kestrel.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin, another great post and lovely photos. Can I find that dratted Smew? ;) No I can't!!!

    Lovely photos on the previous post too, I particularly liked the Spotty Wood on the tree trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers ShySongbird, the Smew is still favouring Farborough Bank to Toft. It comes in quite close when its quiet and reduced disturbance. Keep trying as it will be off soon. Just seen your blog posts - excellent! When were you at Draycote?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Kevin, Thanks for your kind words. Been a couple of times lately, the most recent was last Wednesday, the 2nd. It was bitterly cold with the wind though. Yes, I was thinking today that I am running out of time for the Smew, hopefully will try again during the week.

    ReplyDelete