Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Sunday 27 March 2011

Black Redstart - Draycote Water



I had no plans for today until a text from RBA alerted me to a Black Redstart near the fishing lodge at Draycote Water. This was too much of a good local bird to miss so away I went. Arriving at the old fishing lodge there were no birders or Black Redstart. I began to despair after half an hour searching and decided to try out the sailing club buildings. Eurika! It was on the roof and it spent time flitting from here to the storage containers, occasionally disappearing from view for long periods. It showed reasonably well, but when on the roof it was well camouflaged against the moss and lichens. Texting the birders who I have numbers for, soon had a small gathering to enjoy and appreciate the bird. Unfortunately, in my hurry to see the bird, I was not well dressed for Draycote, and the coolness persuaded me away after an hours watching.










7 comments:

  1. Great shots Kevin, it's always a downer when you arrive and the bird in question isn't there!! Then the Eurika! moment, a great feeling.


    Regards

    Keith
    http://www.keithsbirding.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Keith. Didn't text you as I believe you are in Canada? If not, I do apologise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff Kevin.I remember one being on the sailing club roof a year or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Max. I remember NOT seeing that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin, yes still in Canada for a while, thanks for not texting :), we're 8 hours behind currently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, darn it! I have never seen one :( I very much doubt it will hang around for me?

    Great photos of it Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers ShySongbird. Hopefully it may stay - it was elusive at times but also showed quite well.

    ReplyDelete