Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Thursday 3 December 2009

WWT Swift Valley - Rugby

Well, today was my day off and I was looking forward to getting out and using my newly acquired 30D camera. Days off are a premium so you can imagine my despair when the day dawned with heavy rain. I had thought I would go to Coombe Abbey, sit in the hide and fire away. Wrong! A phone call from school requested that I pick up my daughter who was not feeling well. The weather was slow to "improve?" until some brightness appeared at lunchtime. So where do I go? It was obvious that the light would remain poor and dusk would arrive early so I went down to the Swift Valley. This was my first visit despite my work base being only 400 yards away! Glad I had my wellies in the car as the mud was horrendous. I suppose I was hoping for the Great White Egret to appear!

Bird wise, the best were five Buzzard, two Kestrel, hundreds of Redwing and Fieldfare and a few mixed Tit / Finch flocks. The light was apalling so the camera had little use. Desperate to point it at something, the best I could do was the distant Highland Cattle! (Blue with cold?). Guess who did not read the manual properly?


I think I will hibernate! Bet tomorrow is sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment