Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 14 December 2009

Great White Egret - Long Lawford (Day 1)

Well my brief window of opportunity opened to a dark, dull and drizzly morning, but full of hope I headed to Lawford to try for my first Warwickshire Great White Egret. I arrived at Clayhill Lane at 0820 and where the stream crosses under the road, and within 50yards of the road was the Egret. I had it to myself for two whole minutes, remaining in the car as not to flush it. I need not have worried as this deed was performed by a dog walker and the Egret flew west. I drove up the hill to view the area but nothing, then I the drove to the field footpath opposite West Street and walked to the stream then to the top of the hill but nothing.

My experience of Great White Egret so far has involved wet, dull rainy days, distant birds or quick glimpses!


So, success in seeing but failure in no pics. Had I planned better, and had my camera in the car and not in the boot - Ahh well....................................................!!! Next time (will probably be the same!).

4 comments:

  1. Camera in the boot.Been there done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went back again this morning, again in drizzle and semi darkness and got some record shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats how it goes Kev - I had a buzzard in a nearby tree, stopped van and it didnt move, creeped out of the van to get camera out of the back and it still didnt move.I stayed in the van put on a 2 times converter on the 400mm lens and went to focus and the battery had gone, got reserve battery out of bag and the buzzard had gone !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, Col! I was never a scout so "be prepared" was never top of my list! We live and learn! Next time......(will probably be the same!!!)

    ReplyDelete