Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Wednesday 26 August 2009

Chew Valley Lake


Little Egret



Little Egret



Coot



Coot Scrap



Coot Offensive



LBB Gull - You scratch my back andi'll
................................................!

Scrum down lads, I've got the bread!



Scrum Down!



I'm Off - BH Gull



LBB Gull



Mallard - ? Fart propelled!


Have you missed me? No, I doubt it! I have been away for a few days on a non-birding break in Bath. However, I was allowed a day at the nearby Chew Valley Lake (good behaviour?, maybe!).
Spent most of the time around Herriotts Bridge and Herons Green Pool & Bay. Most of the usual suspects for a large lake, the best being Dunlin, Ringed Plover and Common Sandpiper together at Herons Green Bay, with a distant Black Tailed Godwit. Careful scanning of the Pochard failed to produce the reported Ferruginous Duck but did throw up a juvenile Red Crested Pochard. Two Garganey provided a splendid flypast.
On Herons Green Pool were four Little Egret's. However, careful scoping showed one bird to have a yellow proximal bill with yellow legs and feet of the same colour. The two (poor quality) pics above show this. Debate with a local birder ensued with a view to it being a juvenile Cattle Egret, a bird that had been reported recently in this area. However, as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out with me favouring Little Egret. Should anyone have a view based on the pics above or the others on my website, I would be interested to learn.













No comments:

Post a Comment