Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 10 August 2009

Draycote Water


Yellow Legged Gull


Yellow Legged Gull


Yellow Legged Gull


Cormorant


Carrion Crow



A day off today so decided to visit Draycote. The morning looked good as I set out in sunny, bright conditions. With some of the luck obviously inherited from Max, it was drizzling by the time I reached Farborough Spit! Decided to walk to Toft and return if the weather did not improve - of course it did not! so I cut short my intentions and headed back. Very little to report and very limited, poor quality pics.

Only 40 species of bird seen between 0700 and 1030. A Willow Warbler was singing well in the car park area but not visualised. Farborough Bank produced the Yellow Legged Gull on the boats near the fishing pontoons and an adult Herring Gull. The Toft end of Farborough Bank produced one adult and two juvenile Yellow Wagtail's and a solitary Grey Wagtail. Two Common Sandpiper were found in front of the hide.

Disappointing, really, with very little activity, very little in close to photograph and miserable weather.

Today's Sightings:

Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Rook; BH Gull; Wren; Goldfinch; Chaffinch; House Martin; Willow Warbler; Blue Tit; Robin; Greenfinch; Mallard; Coot; Canada Goose; Cormorant; Mute SWan; Great Crested Grebe; Tufted Duck; Starling; Yellow Wagtail; Grey Heron; LBB Gull; Grey Wagtail; Pied Wagtail; Green Woodpecker; Moorhen; Lapwing; Dunnock; Great Tit; Common Sandpiper; Blackbird; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Long Tailed Tit; Jackdaw; Magpie; Buzzard; Stock Dove; Yellow Legged Gull; Herring Gull; SWallow.

4 comments:

  1. I went out Monday as well and like you I was plagued with the rain and unfortunately there is no hide at seeswood.
    Nice picture of the carrion crow I have been trying to get a good picture of these myself and I can not get anywhere near them.Draycot sounds great, I bumped into a guy called Dave Hutton(nice guy)and he was saying it was well worth a visit,so I am planning a visit soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Col

    This weather is apalling and more so when it is your only day off! Dave is a sound bloke and good at what he does - he has helped me on many occasions. Draycote is good but still very quiet at the moment. Try to avoid peak times as much disturbance with walkers, joggers, cyclists anf fishermen. I like to arrive at "gates open" which is about 0700. Loads of crows sitting on the banks waiting to be photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will tie it in with a visit to Brandon - Mondays is my day off so hopefully it may be a bit quieter than a sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea, Col, Remember though it is school hols so I would go as early as possible as it still gets busy from about 1000.

    ReplyDelete