Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 14 August 2009

Brandon Marsh


Dabchick - Carlton Pool


Green Sandpiper & Greenshank - Carlton
Pool


Green Sandpiper - Carlton Pool


Greenshank (oops! Who put that hole
there? - Carlton Pool

Greenshank - Carlton Pool


Green Sandpiper - Carlton Pool


Kingfisher - Carlton Pool


Kingfisher - Carlton Pool


Greenshank - Carlton Pool


Greenshank - Carlton Pool


Greenshank - Carlton Pool


Greenshank - Carlton Pool
I was so tired after a night shift from hell but decided to pay a visit to Brandon Marsh. Arriving at 1420 and walking to the main hides, I amassed 42 bird species before leaving at 1800. I thought I may fall asleep in a hide and suffer the indignity of being shaken by others who were concerned that my snoring was disturbing the birds!!! Thankfully, I stayed awake!
In the carpark, I was informed that 14 Greenshank had been on Teal Pool but when I arrived the number had dwindled to one. However, at least five were located between East Marsh Pool, Teal Pool and Carlton Pool. Two Green Sandpiper were on Teal Pool and later on Carlton Pool, probably the same two. A distant Kingfisher was seen on River Pool and another posed on Carlton Pool but declined to come closer than the second pole. East Marsh pool took some searching with high vegetation but I eventually found Snipe (2), Oystercatcher (1), and Redshank (1).
Elsewhere, Cettis Warbler (1), Buzzard (1), but little else.
Todays Sightings:
Swallow; Wood Pigeon; Magpie; Carrion Crow; BH Gull; LBB Gull; Coot; Canada Goose; Blue Tit; Grey Heron; Moorhen; Lapwing; Greenshank; Mallard; Green Sandpiper; Kingfisher; Mute Swan; Cormorant; Oystercatcher; Snipe; Redshank; Tufted Duck; Great Crested Grebe; Grey Lag Goose; Kestrel; Dabchick; Stock Dove; Wren; Teal; Gadwall; Starling; Robin; Shoveler (f); Jay; Chettis Warbler; Long Tailed Tit; Green Woodpecker; Buzzard; Great Tit; Chaffinch.











4 comments:

  1. thats a great mix of colour in the kingfisher pictures Kev , I can see you are having no problems with the new lens, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Col. Still a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Kevin>The new lens is working well.

    You will have to let me know how you put a title on each pic.I do not how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Max.
    I will e-mail you dirct re titles.

    ReplyDelete