Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Red Necked Grebe, Pitsford Reservoir, Northants.


I had not seen a Red Necked Grebe for three years, so I decided to head over to Pitsford Reservoir, where a Grebe had taken up residence for the last week. It was a new area for me as I normally head for the causeway and the reserve side. Today, I arrived at the country park, where I was relieved of my money at the car park (normally £2.60 but as I only had three £1 coins, I paid over the odds!). On my way to the dam and valve tower, I met an elderly gentleman of 84yrs, with a stick, taking off for a circuit of the water (c7miles!) at a rate that had me almost collapsing, and I'm 25 years younger! He was a very pleasant chap, telling me about working on Rhodesia Railways which involved walking and checking many miles of track! Arriving at the valve tower, the Grebe was soon located and what an obliging bird!


















4 comments:

  1. What a stunning little bird Kevin.
    Think I might take a trip over that way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith. I would make the trip - its so obliging and very close to the dam. Certainly worth the £2.60 parking fee!

    ReplyDelete