Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 26 September 2011

Titchwell Marsh 25th September 2011

My week is at an end and I have to say that this is the quietest I have ever known Norfolk to be. No life ticks but several year ticks and good healthy fresh Norfolk air make it all worthwhile. I decided to call into Titchwell Marsh on my way home, arriving quite early at 0630. Unfortunately, the sun was preventing clear observation of the reserve, so I headed for the beach. Most of the birds present had already been seen throughout the week but at last, some more year ticks. From the beach, five Red Throated Divers, plus many flyby Common Scoters and a Long Tailed Duck. Walking back down the path, two Little Stint were close to the Island Hide with a small group of Dunlin. I have been trying to locate Spoonbill all week, but always seemed to be in the wrong place! When at Titchwell, it was reported at Cley, when at Cley it was reported at Titchwell! Luck was on my side when an immature Spoonbill flew onto the Thornham Marshes, distant but it was in my scope.

I apologise for the following Spoonbill record shots, next time i've booked the Hubble Space Telescope!







Knot



Little Stint





Curlew

6 comments:

  1. Slow down a bit Kevin I can't keep up with you.
    Looks as though you are having a good time though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've slowed, Mike! Its all on the Blog now. It was good but I really needed some rares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya nice blog you have here. I'm off to Norfolk tomorrow and yeah I have to say the sightings do look a bit dire rarity wise, and looking through my notes from last year this autumn has been terrible in comparison. Last year I had Olive Backed Pipit, self found Black Redstart and Ring Ouzel, all 3 Phalaropes, Glossy Ibis, Hen Harrier, Pallas's and Yellow Browed Warbler etc etc. This year the only tick I've had from Norfolk was the Little Bittern at Titchwell, but it's a great place and if the wind ever changes direction it has huge scope for finding your own birds - which I intend to do fingers crossed

    Good birding, David James
    www.davidjameswildlifediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers David and have a good time in Norfolk. It is a great place and finding your own birds is fantastic. This year I travelled to renowned sites but struggled so hard. Heard Yellow Browed at Wells Woods but not ticked because I couldn't locate it. It took me six days to locate Spoonbill! I dread to look on Norfolk threads to see what turns up now i'm home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theres no replacement for that little bit of luck , but it looks like you had an enjoyable day to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a good day, Andrew - maybe I expected too much?

    ReplyDelete