Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Thursday 12 November 2009

Draycote Water


Let Sleeping Goosanders Lie


Dabchick - Lunch


Dabchick - Lunch


Goldeneye



(More boring images on my website - link opposite)



I was in bed after a very busy night shift when I became aware of my mobile vibrating away. The messages from RBA and John J alerted me to a Green Winged Teal at Draycote in Toft. Unfortunately, I was not able to get out until late afternoon when the weather was threatening rain and the light was fading quickly. A brisk walk to Toft soon had me looking at the GWT, distant and in scope view. No chance of a photo here! With rain threatening, I set off back towards the visitor centre taking a high ISO pic of the dozing Goosanders (3m 1f) and observing the Great Northern Diver off Farborough Bank. 

I must admit that because time was short, I did not really search the water, and with the light fading fast, I gave up and headed home.

4 comments:

  1. love the pic of the grebe Kev - that looks like a gudgeon it has in its mouth - these hug the bottom so they must dive quite deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Col. A poor light day! Not sure on the fish and bow to your knowledge on them. Not actually sure what Draycote holds, other than Trout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there on Thursday but I kept making the wrong moves.I was at Rainbow when Bob told me of the GWT and by the time I got there it was way across the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad luck, Max. It was really dark when I got to Toft and the GWT so distant it needed a scope to view!
    Think I might give up with pics as every time I go out it rains or the light is poor or everything is distant!

    ReplyDelete