Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Saturday 7 November 2009

Daventry Country Park - Flight















My daughter, Abigail, attends a Saturday morning music class in Daventry which, when not working, gives me the chance of a wander either at Borough Hill or in the Country Park. Today I chose the latter. Most of the birds were too far away for any chance of a photo so I had a go at capturing Black Headed Gulls in flight.

I started my walk near the old Carvell Hide and had good views of the "probable" Baltic Gull. I have to say that the jury will remain out for a good while on this bird, and for me it will remain a "probable". All the usual wildfowl were soon located - not difficult with very low water levels! Two Shelduck were about the best on the west shore, so I walked the perimeter, eventually meeting up with two local birders on the east shore. They had been watching the "probable" Baltic Gull and had picked up a small Grebe which initially they thought may be Black Necked. However, this Grebe had a flattish crown, pale tip to the bill and lacked the steep slope to the crown. A difficult bird to observe with constant diving and remaining distant. It was a Slavonian Grebe and a year tick for me. While watching the Slavonian, a dozen Golden Plover flew over.

Time soon ran out, and it was back into Daventry to pick up Abigail. However, a cunning plot was being hatched - all will be revealed in the post above!

Todays sightings:

Blackbird; Robin; Wood Pigeon; Chaffinch; LT Tit; Blue Tit; Jackdaw; Cormorant; Wren; Great Tit; Gt Cr Grebe; Mute Swan; Tufted Duck; Shoveler; Shelduck; Pochard; Wigeon; Gadwall; Carrion Crow; LBB Gull; Herring Gull; Teal; Coot; Common Gull; Goldfinch; Lapwing; Siskin; Magpie; Redwing; Mallard; Moorhen; Pheasant; Grey Heron; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Pied Wagtail; Slavonian Grebe; Golden Plover; Canada Goose; Probable Baltic Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment