Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 6 November 2009

Draycote Water - Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper with entourage of Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with entourage of Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper with Dunlin


Purple Sandpiper


Purple Sandpiper



(More pics on my website - see link opposite)


I had just arrived at Bramcote to winterise my caravan, when a phone call from Max and a text from John J (many thanks both) alerted me to the presence of a Purple Sandpiper at the Outlet at Draycote. Now, I had duties to perform which were perhaps a little rushed, as a Purple Sandpiper was a lifer and it was at Draycote! I made all haste to Draycote, not really dressed for the occasion, meeting Max, Bob and Francoise on my way to the Outlet. They confirmed the bird was still present, and indeed it was, meeting Bob D and later Dave H and "Dog". A few times the Purple Sandpiper and its entourage of 4 Dunlin took to flight over the reservoir but soon returned. The light was not at all good needing a high ISO but I was pleased with my amateur efforts.

Also seen, but at a distance was my first of the autumn, Great Northern Diver off Farborough Bank.

My purpose was to see the Purple Sandpiper so little notice was taken of the other birds present.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got the P/S Kevin.The light was dreadful which was a shame but I see Mr.Hutton got some great shots.
    After I reported it in I was surprised what a rarity it was at Draycote and the fuss it caused.A rare Warwickshire tick apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Max. It was a lifer for me and I was really pleased you phoned me. I also, did not realise how rare it was for Warwickshire. A good find indeed.

    ReplyDelete