Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Saturday 25 June 2011

Daventry Country Park

What a boring morning! Apart from being rather dull with threatening rain, Daventry Country Park failed to excite me this morning! I was only there as it was Abigails music lessons in Daventry and I had a couple of hours to kill.

I can normally guarantee at least some altercation with the pampered pooch brigade, but today these were all on leads and well behaved!

The naughty boys and girls from the community payback scheme were out in force.


I have to say, that if I had been naughty, then this scheme would be right up my street - meet at a leisurely time, pick up a black sack and a litter picker, walk around the country park, chat as you go with other naughty people, occasionally pick up a piece of litter, return to the cafe, have a cup of tea and some cake and then repeat the process! I really would not be naughty again!

Daventry Country Park is very overgrown with vegetation making it almost impossible to see the water and shoreline for most of its perimeter. The small pool at the Daventry end was impossible to get to or view. Clearing this vegetation would perhaps be a better task for the naughty ones?

As for the birds and wildlife - not a lot really and nothing remotely exciting! It was a "why did I bother carrying the camera" day!

Todays Sightings:

Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Starling; Wren; Jackdaw; Goldfinch; Robin; Song Thrush; Blackbird; Chaffinch; Blackcap; Coot; House Martin; Grey Heron; Canada Goose; Mute Swan; Black Headed Gull; Common Tern; Willow Warbler; Chiffchaff; Great Crested Grebe; Magpie; Moorhen; Green Woodpecker; House Sparrow; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Great Tit; Mallard; Blue Tit; Long Tailed Tit; Pheasant; Swift; Tufted Duck; Cormorant; Sand Martin; Mountain Gorilla; Swallow; Kestrel; LBB Gull; Pied Wagtail; Reed Bunting; Dunnock.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Kevin, I sometimes think the 'naughty' people get through life far more easily than the rest of us! And I bet they missed more than they 'picked'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy life indeed! There wasn't much litter to be picked up either! At least the hi-viz community payback tabards identified them and perhaps embarrased them.

    ReplyDelete