Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 21 January 2011

Draycote Water - Quick afternoon visit

Having been at work last night and needing a few hours sleep, when I woke, I decided to pay a quick visit to Draycote Water this afternoon, walking to the valve tower and back. My main aim was to locate the female Scaup which has been reported off the inlet for several days. Overall, the water was very quiet with only the expected birds in quite low numbers. I met Bob H near the inlet and we were soon watching the (distant) Scaup. It led us a merry dance, staying distant and diving regularly and seemed determined to "outwit" Bob who was struggling to capture an image. The field behind the inlet held a small finch flock, no doubt due to a watchful Sparrowhawk nearby. The flock was mainly Chaffinch, but did contain at least 10 Brambling. Bob reported the drake Smew being off Farborough Bank but I could not locate it in the scope, so missed this super bird as I had no time to walk to Toft.


Female Scaup





Female Scaup with female Tufted Duck



Drake Goldeneye displaying




Todays Sightings:

Blackbird; Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Blue Tit; Coot; Great Crested Grebe; Mallard; Tufted Duck; LBB Gull; Black Headed Gull; Cormorant; Goldeneye; Dabchick; Teal; Goosander; Common Gull; Pied Wagtail; Moorhen; Scaup; Magpie; Pochard; Pheasant; Chaffinch; Brambling; Sparrowhawk; GBB Gull;Rook; Jackdaw; Fieldfare; Long Tailed Tit; Bullfinch.

4 comments:

  1. Nice shots of the Scaup Kevin.

    Just seen your GGS shot in Birdwatching well done.You are amongst the elite now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the Scaup! I haven't been able to get to Draycote for some time unfortunately so it is great to see what I am missing...I think ;)

    I haven't had a chance to look at my copy of Birdwatching yet but after seeing the comment above I will make sure I do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Max. Don't know about "elite" - just right time, right place for a chnge! Having a few problems with computer at the moment so everything limited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Shysongbird. I am rather limited as well at the moment so not many opportunities to get out.

    ReplyDelete