Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Draycote Water this Evening

What an awful day! Finishing a night shift, I spent the morning in bed, waking to a rather horrid rainy day! A respite this evening saw me on Farborough Bank but looking into the sunshine. The Red Breasted Merganser was soon located off Farborough Bank, diving and feeding well, but unfortunately, it did not come in very close. Farborough spit held three Dunlin and three Little Ringed Plovers. An adult Yellow Legged Gull flew towards the fishing lodge. Best bird of the evening was a Wood Sandpiper that flew onto the spit just as I was about to head home. Of course, I had to stay a little longer, almost wishing I was not looking into the evening sunshine. This was my first Wood Sandpiper at Draycote, a bird of note at any local water. Really disappointed that it was seen earlier in the day but NO news put out..................until 1900 when I was on the bird!

Red Breasted Merganser






Wood Sandpiper











Todays Sightings:

Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Magpie; Goldfinch; Blackbird; Mallard; Coot; Moorhen; Great Crested Grebe; LBB Gull; Black Headed Gull; Cormorant; House Martin; Swift; Pied Wagtail; Yellow Wagtail; Dunlin; Little Ringed Plover; Red Breasted Merganser; Tufted Duck; Chaffinch; House Sparrow; Starling; Rook; Green Woodpecker; Long Tailed Tit; Chiffchaff; Bullfinch; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Teal; Jackdaw; Yellow Legged Gull; Mute Swan; Canada Goose; GBB Gull; Dabchick; Wood Sandpiper; Swallow; Wren; Greenfinch; Collared Dove.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    Nice shots of the Wood Sand there! A bird I have yet to see close enough to digiscope, hope springs eternal!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers John - loads turning up in this area! Every water seems to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent sots of the WS Kevin.I went early on Friday morning but could not find it and the RBM was way out on the pond for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Max. I could not locate anything exciting this morning. I even got there before gates open so no disturbance. The RBM may have moved around the water or flown.

    ReplyDelete