Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 18 February 2011

Draycote Water - Scaup (s)

Female Scaup

Drake Scaup


Typical of my days off, the day was cold, grey, dull, misty and not at all conducive for a visit to Draycote Water. However, news was filtering through that a drake Scaup had joined the long staying female off Hensborough Bank. I have not seen a drake for several years, so the opportunity to visit was too much to miss. Arriving early afternoon, I was soon with a very cold looking Bob H on Hensborough Bank and the male & female Scaup were in my sight. The light, was of course, apalling! While watching the Scaup, I could not resist a few images of an obliging Wren on the rocks below the bank.


Drake Scaup

Drake Scaup

Drake Scaup with watchful female Scaup

Drake Scaup with Tufted Duck

Drake Scaup

Wren

Wren

3 comments:

  1. Well done Kevin! You did well to get the photos in those conditions. Nice to see the Wren too, unusual place to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, ShySongbird. This weather is so depressing! The wren was moving amongst the rocks - I wonder how they suffered in the cold spell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did much better than I did at BM.Very nice shots

    ReplyDelete