Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 4 February 2011

Brandon Marsh & Bretford

Now boys, don't fight - you can both have me..........!
(Gadwall)

Brandon was rather quiet this morning with nothing exceptional appearing, but then I only visited East Marsh Hide. Arriving before first light, I walked past sheep field and newlands in the hope of Owls, but again was disappointed. As I arrived at East Marsh Pool a Barnacle Goose was on the island, but by the time I arrived at the hide it had disappeared. My main objective was a Bittern, that most people have had very good views of, and excellent images have appeared on various websites. Well, I sat and waited but nothing until four hours into my vigil, when at last, a Bittern flew up from the right reed bed and dropped in to a pool towards Carlton pool. At least it was now on my 2011 list, despite it being a rear view with legs dangling. While waiting, I was entertained by the largest number of Gadwall I have seen at Brandon, the antics of Shoveler and three Shelduck. Other ducks included Tufted, Teal, male & female Pochard, Wigeon and a lone female Goldeneye. Today, was my lowest number of species seen at Brandon for a long time, no doubt due to not visiting all areas. (List at end of post). 

On my way home, I stopped to view the single Bewicks Swan, amongst the many Mute Swans between Bretford and Church Lawford.

Gadwall

Shoveler

Shoveler

Shoveler

Bewicks Swan


Todays Sightings:

Robin; Wood Pigeon; Blackbird; Dunnock; Great Tit; Carrion Crow; Bullfinch; Magpie; Black Headed Gull; LBB Gull; Mute Swan; Tufted Duck; Mallard; Canada Goose; Grey Lag Goose; Barnacle Goose; Lapwing; Song Thrush; Cormorant; Teal; Shelduck; Grey Heron; Pochard; Shoveler; Coot; Wigeon; Gadwall; Common Gull; Herring Gull; Goldeneye; Bittern; Starling; Blue Tit.

Bewicks Swan.

2 comments:

  1. Great shot of the B. Swan Kevin.Bad luck with the Bittern it's all down to luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Max. I'm not going to try for any birds from now on. If I see them, I see them, if I don't, I don't.

    ReplyDelete