Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 6 August 2012

Cute Coots! (Plus Rooks and a Yellow Legged Gull!)



Not a lot going on locally so I decided to trawl the local area in the hope of finding something good! I started at the flooded field just off the A45 at the Grandborough turn, where, a few days ago, while on an emergency call, I flushed a Green Sandpiper! Needless to say, the flood was totally devoid of anything but water today! On to Napton on the Hill churchyard which was as quiet as the residents interned within! Next stop was Napton Reservoir wher I spent some time photographing the cute young Coots, but again, very quiet! Draycote Water was not much better! I walked to Toft Shallows and back in what was my first visit for several months. It was so exciting, that I took some images of Rooks before I eventually managed to find a Yellow Legged Gull! Draycote was were I managed to find "Twat of the day"! I was approached by a guy who went to great lengths to tell me that the birds should be culled / controlled because they ate too many fish!


Cute Coots! (Napton Reservoir)

















Rooks (Draycote Water)







Yellow Legged Gull


6 comments:

  1. Bonitas fotos de la Focha y sus polluelo.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias Isidro, le agradezco sus comentarios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin. I have just enjoyed a very absorbing catch up with all your Suffolk posts. What a great time you had! I'm really envious of those beautiful Dartford Warbler photos, what an encounter that was!

    Love the young Coot photos on this post...you have to laugh ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan - glad you enjoyed the images. Suffolk was great and the Dartfords were the first I have photographed! Dunwich Heath is well worth a visit for them. Nothing much happening locally so I had a go at the chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin, you describe the frustrations of birding in August very well! We went to Dunwich last weekend to look for DWs but no luck, although we've seen them there before. However it was a fantastic day for... dragonflies! A good subject for your camera in August.
    Best wishes,
    Paul & Anna, Waveney Valley, Suffolk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul & Anna - sorry that the DW's didn't show, maybe I was just lucky. Dunwich Heath is great (as is the whole area). As for dragonflies, I wouldn't be able to ID them but if they "give themselves up" I would have a go!

    ReplyDelete