Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 2 April 2012

Napton on the Hill

Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly


I decided on a quiet, local day in the field with the hope of some summer migrants, so chose to visit Napton on the Hill and Napton Reservoir. Arriving at Napton on the Hill, bird song was a delight to hear but I was perhaps too early for my hoped for Willow Warbler. As always, Napton churchyard was full of bird song, with Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Goldfinch, Robin and all the common species competing with each other! A Green Woodpecker flew from the grassland and a Raven honked overhead. About twenty Fieldfare "clacked" over the hill.

As I made my way past the windmill, I did not expect to see a Roe Deer below me!






The quarry area and woodland was quite disappointing so I made my way back to the churchyard where I was entertained by Wrens, Blue Tits, Robin, Long Tailed Tit and Chiffchaff, while overhead three Buzzards riding the thermals.

Wren



Long Tailed Tit


Chiffchaff


Blue Tit


Robin


Buzzard





Todays Sightings:

Carrion Crow; Magpie; Rook; Blackbird; Collared Dove; Wood Pigeon;; Chaffinch; Song Thrush; Mistle Thrush; Chiffchaff; Wren; Green Woodpecker; Robin; Great Tit; Raven; Dunnock; Blue Tit; Jackdaw; Mallrad; Pheasant; Buzzard; Lapwing; Treecreeper; Fieldfare; Bullfinch; Stock Dove; Linnet; Starling; Blackcap; Long Tailed Tit; Goldfinch; Pied Wagtail; Yellowhammer.

Napton Reservoir:

Coot; Tufted Duck; Mute Swan; Canada Goose; Great Crested Grebe; Skylark; Moorhen; Sand Martin; Reed Bunting; Kesterl; Greylag Goose.

4 comments:

  1. It must have been a delightful morning to be entertained so many beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great morning in good sunshine and some good birds and other animals. Not as many images as I would have liked but hey ho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great bravo for the Roe Dear!
    Great pictures, nice to be able to take pics so close!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Noushka i'm pleased you like my images.

    ReplyDelete