Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Greenshank Debacle!!!

An interesting hour at lunchtime in the company of some good birders looking at a Greenshank which was originally believed to be a Greater Yellowlegs. The atmosphere was good but very little debate about the birds true ID was heard. EVERYONE WANTED to see a Greater Yellowlegs and misidentification was not considered until the afternoon, when a large number of birders had left, confident of a life tick mega! The views were poor, the light was poor, the bird was distant. I left believing I had seen a mega! I had some doubts though when I saw my poor quality record shots and had a look at Collins! In my profession we call being drawn into situations without thinking as "red mist". However, lets all have a good laugh at our mistake, ourselves and each other and then move on.

For some reason the youthful enthusiasm of Craig (Midlandsbirder) placed a link to my blog report and record images on the birdforum discussion thread (without my permission - naughty boy!). Incredably, this has increased my hits dramatically!

Cest la vie - I suppose!

4 comments:

  1. Never mind Frank you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could at least put a link to my blog :P
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had but on checking I have not! It will be rectified and you will be included. My comments above are "tongue in cheek"!

    ReplyDelete