Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 1 April 2011

The Spoonbill that Never Was! - Brandon Marsh

I must be a glutton for punishment! Having spent many hours already searching for the elusive Spotted Crake and obtaining a brief view yesterday, I decided that it would show much better early this morning! Arriving at Brandon in total darkness at 0530, I made my way to East Marsh Hide to await daylight and a private viewing. Of course, as I should have expected, it was not to show while I was there (five hours)!

As I sat in the hide, alone, the door suddenly burst open and in comes Kath, exclaiming "have you seen it"? Assuming she meant the Spotted Crake, I said no not yet. No, No says Kath, the Spoonbill! Max has texted to say that a Spoonbill was on East Marsh, as per Bird Guides, last evening. Well, I haven't seen it, its not been reported on RBA, and no birders are queuing for a local mega! Kath, I said, what date is it, it wouldn't be April 1st by any chance? Long silence and deep thoughts followed by a rude word or two! We decided this was Max playing an April fool joke, which had certainly convinced Kath! A plan was hatched, as Max had only texted Kath, he would not be expecting a text from me, so I decided to text Max with "Spoonbill on Teal Pool, showing well at 0730". To this I got a reply "I'm on my way". Half an hour later, Max huffs and puffs into the hide expecting to see a Spoonbill! Apparently yesterdays Spotted Crake at 1725 was reported on Birdguides as a Spoonbill for a time, hence Max's text to Kath! I suppose the April fools joke was now on all three of us! Hope you didn't set off any speed cameras, Max! And, still the Spotted Crake had failed to show!

East Marsh produced a female Goosander, four Oystercatcher; two Redshank,  around 50+ Sand Martins, around 30+ Golden Plover on Willow Island, one Ringed Plover, two Little Ringed Plovers and a Water Rail. Around the reserve were at least six Chiffchaffs, seven Cettis Warblers, two Nuthatch and one Willow Warbler.


Shoveler


Redshank


Grass Snake (yesterday)


Todays Sightings:

Robin; Great Tit; Song Thrush; Wren; Snipe; Coot; Moorhen; Cettis Warbler; Grey Lag Goose; Canada Goose; Tufted Duck; Teal; Goosander; Lapwing; Mute Swan; Oystercatcher; Redshank; Grey Heron; Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Pheasant; Shoveler; Chiffchaff; Great Crested Grebe; Magpie; Golden Plover; Cormorant; Chaffinch; Gadwall; Kestrel; Reed Bunting; Ringed Plover; Pied Wagtail; LBB Gull; Dunnock; Green Woodpecker; Sand Martin; Jay; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Mallard; Buzzard; Water Rail; Jackdaw; Stock Dove; Blackbird; Blue Tit; Dabchick; Long Tailed Tit; Nuthatch; Willow Warbler; Little Ringed Plover.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Kevin the joke was on me.I really believed a Spoonbill was there.

    The Crake didn't show at all from the EM hide but I believe that it was seen later from the Baldwin hide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL re the Spoonbill - if only!!! The Sp Crake seeme to be favouring the reeds only viewable from the Baldwin Hide at the moment. Bet its a bit of a squeeze at the flaps that open to view this area!

    ReplyDelete