Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 18 September 2009

Pastures New...........?

Today, for a change I headed out to Pitsford Reservoir. I have only previously stood on the causeway here, but today I used my newly obtained permit. The reserve perimeter is about 7 miles in length and I lugged my scope and camera all the way, suffering in the heat! The camera was a total waste of time as everything was in "scope view" and the opportunity to take any pics did not arise!

Arriving at 0730 the car park was still closed so I parked up on the causeway and headed towards the start of the perimeter walk. The water held all of the usual waterfowl and the woods all of the usual woodland species - what more can I say!! I was, however, surprised at the number of Red Legged Partridges  in the surrounding fields - at least 40!

It was not until I arrived at the Scaldwell Arm that species livened up. From the Scaldwell Hides distant Kingfisher (2), distant Red Crested Pochard (3), distant Little Egret (2), slightly closer Pintail (8) and Yellow Legged Gull. I finished my walk at 1230 and amassed 62 bird species and two Muntjac. Next time, I will reduce the distance by walking the Scaldwell Arm which was most productive.

Interestingly, the Northamptonshire reservoirs at Pitsford, Hollowell, Ravensthorpe and Stanford are closer than my normal furthest range of West Midlands Ladywalk and Marsh Lane. Maybe I will become a Northamptonshire birder?

Sightings:
Robin; Coot; BH Gull; Wren; Mute Swan; Moorhen; Tufted Duck; LBB Gull; Mallard; Wigeon; Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Great Crested Grebe; Gadwall; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Cormorant; Green Woodpecker; Dabchick; Chaffinch; Chiffchaff; Blackcap; Red Legged Partridge; Gt Sp Woodpecker; Song Thrush; Grey Heron; Collared Dove; Pheasant; Willow Warbler; Coal Tit; Marsh Tit; Swallow; Pochard; Ruddy Duck; Shoveler; Kestrel; Long Tailed Tit; Kingfisher; Teal; Magpie; Common Gull; Canada Goose; Buzzard; Bullfinch; Lapwing; Pintail; Yellow Legged Gull; Red Crested Pochard; Reed Bunting; Little Egret; Pied Wagtail; Starling; Sparrowhawk; Sand Martin; Goldfinch; House Sparrow; Muntjac Deer.


Leaving Pitsford, I headed to Stanford Reservoir arriving at the inlet at 1300. I started to walk towards the dam end but the path was very overgrown and hard going so I returned to the car and headed to the main car park near the dam. From here the path was much easier and views over the water much better. However, nothing special during my two hour visit with a total of 29 bird species. (At least the permit for here was FREE!).

Sightings:
Mute Swan; Gt Cr Grebe; Wood Pigeon; Jackdaw; Carrion Crow; Tufted Duck; Buzzard; Rook; Grey Heron; Coot; BH Gull; House Martin; Pochard; Mallard; Shoveler; Cormorant; Pheasant; Magpie; Wigeon; Canada Goose; Grey Lag Goose; Barnacle Goose; LBB Gull; Lapwing; Greenfinch; Reed Bunting; Dabchick; Gadwall; Moorhen.

No comments:

Post a Comment