Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Friday 4 September 2009

Manx Shearwater - Draycote (A Lifer!)

Had another bad night shift last night so went to bed this morning for a few hours only to be woken to my phone text informing that a Manx Shearwater was showing well at Draycote off Farborough Bank (Thanks JJ). Jumping out of bed and trying to find my clothes while still half asleep, I rushed out to see, what was a lifer for me! Didn't even finish my coffee! I was not disappointed as I joined the small group of birders on Farborough Bank, soon locating the bird at a distance but observation was hampered by a very strong, cooling Draycote "breeze". Luckily, the bird drifted towards the bank, but was harrassed by the gulls and sailboarders. I managed a few record shots and was very grateful for the image stabilisation on my camera lens. Also noted were Yellow Legged Gull. Walked back to the visitor centre with Bob H and en-route was put on to a flyover Osprey which headed down the valley towards Southam. Coffee and a sausage and egg bap were consumed before heading home. Indeed, a couple of hours well spent. I will await with interest the photographic results of the "big lens boys"!

4 comments:

  1. Dammit Kevin.I'm so jealous.Never seen one.Excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Max. A lifer for me. You would have enjoyed the challenge of the Draycote "breeze". For the first time ever, I was down below the level of the perimeter wall!

    ReplyDelete