Previously “Diary of a Birding Medic”; “Rugby Birder”; "Bempton Birder”. All views expressed in this blog are my OWN and do not represent the opinions or policies of any organisations or entities whatsoever with whom I have been, am now or will be affiliated. Reference to Bempton Cliffs in NO way promotes the organisation known as RSPB Bempton Cliffs, but rather the FREEdom of the cliffs.

Monday 23 May 2011

Earlswood Lakes Re-visited

I had to go back! The possibility of a life tick in the form of a Night Heron was too good to miss - and it was in Warwickshire! This time, I was determined that I would not leave until I had seen it or it would be too dark to see it! Arriving about 3.30pm, I walked down to the scrubland area beyond Windmill Pool, but no sign. Back at the causeway, I met the Nuneaton Bird Club group and we settled down for the wait. While waiting, the drake Mandarin performed for us, never far from his female Mallard companion and protecting her with vigour should a male Mallard come too close! Also while waiting and waiting and waiting, I observed my first Hobby of the year high above Windmill Pool. The wait continued and birders arrived and drifted away. Eventually, as darkness increased, the ardent few were about to give up all hope, when, the Night Heron flew over Windmill Pool. It was quite high and disappeared towards Solihull, but it was worth the long wait (10 hours over two days). Unfortunately, I was not able to get any images but I am well pleased with my life tick! As consolation, I offer some more images of ...........................................................................................................the Mandarin!



Bathing with the "missus"









6 comments:

  1. Got to be the most photo'd Mandarin in the midlands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure has! At least it provided entertainment while waiting for the tricky Night Heron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my first thought was that at least there was some entertainment while you waited :)

    Well done! Patience rewarded.

    Great Mandarin pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ShySongbird - a very obliging and entertaining bird! Pity the Night Heron couldn't be as obliging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Night Heron is so hard even to get a brief flyover so you did well.Of course our friend Dave Hutton has got some stunning shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone certainly smiles on Dave = exceptional images!

    ReplyDelete